Thursday 4 July 2013

SEASIDE


 
 
                                                                          Midnight
On the slow-wind beach
And the hungry sea
Licks black sand.
Moonlight
And me,
Throwing stones,
The way people do
On lonely beaches,
A stone’s throw
Away from the town;
Lonely people,
Making sinking splashes
As the long tongue of sea
Licks grey sand.
A bloody ribbon of sky,
Distant
In tattered blackness;
And me
On the cold-wind beach
At first light.

(1975)
 
Writers need to ‘find their own voice’ and this is one of the first poems in which I felt I’d shaken off, if only temporarily, the powerful influences that had inspired me to write in the first place.
The beach in question was somewhere in Wales; possibly Rhyl.
The photograph is a recent one and was taken overlooking the beach at New Brighton, a few miles north of Liverpool. We’d hopped on a train to go and see the sunset there and spotted the lone figure you see in the picture.



No comments:

Post a Comment